Re: kmalloc without GFP_xxx?

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 10:51:38 EST

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Jörn Engel wrote:

> All nice and well. But still, for the sake of simplicity and me not
> wanting to think, I prefer always using spin_lock_irqsave for
> everything. Since when should I stop and think about my own code?

OK, I use spin_lock_irqsave first, and then I only use spin_lock when I
already know interrupts are off. But the locks I usually use are used by
interrupts and that is reason enough to use it. I wouldn't use the
_irqsave for simplicity, I use it since I still believe it keeps latency
down for SMP.

> In fact, why don't we all sit down and start using KCSP for kernel
> hacking? ;)

Naw, I'm doing my PhD on implemting Linux drivers in SmallTalk. That will
make everybody happy!

-- Steve