Re: Newbie Roadmap?

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Wed Jun 29 2005 - 16:32:10 EST

On 6/27/05, Howard Owen <hbo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've embarked on a project to write device drivers for an obscure and
> rare ISA card. It's a modern version of the HP 82973 HP-IL interface
> produced by Cristoph Klug. HP-IL was a bit-serial, dog-slow version of
> HP-IB (IEEE-488) that was designed to work with the HP-41C family of
> calculators, and later with the HP-71 and HP-85. The 41C calculators are
> my hobby interest. I'd like to introduce myself, and ask for pointers
> for a newbie device driver author.

[...]
> What I've done so far: I've picked up and started reading "Linux Device
> Drivers" both editions 2 and 3. I'm about half way through Love's "Linux
> Kernel Development"

Good choice of books.

[...]
> I'm starting
> out running Slack 10.1, so I'll probably tackle the 2.4 driver first.

Slackware runs just fine with a 2.6 kernel. I've been running 2.5.x
and 2.6.x kernels on Slack for ages and I'm currently running
2.6.13-rc1 with Slackware-current.

[...]
> If anyone has suggestions or pointers for a newbie with the above
> background, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you.

You probably already know this, but since you ask I'll point out the obvious :-)

Some good documents to read :
Documentation/CodingStyle
Documentation/SubmittingDrivers
Documentation/SubmittingPatches

And this I find to be a good website for new kernel hackers :
http://kernelnewbies.org/

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>