Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Markus Törnqvist
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 09:25:21 EST

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 05:05:06PM +0400, Nikita Danilov wrote:

>You will have to force user level to use common framework
>anyway.

Naturally.

>Otherwise one application will use
>
>~/pictures/sunset.jpg/...meta/mime-type
>
>and another one
>
>~/pictures/sunset.jpg/...meta/XML-schema-FOOBAR/version-0.99/attributes/common/MIME-type/value
>
>etc. Putting mechanism into kernel doesn't make it somehow magically
>interoperable. It is _policy_ that does. And policy belongs to the
>kernel not.

Indeed this may not be something where Infinite Diversity in
Infinite Combinations is a good thing.

The best way to make sure everything works ok, is to draw out the
specs for a policy and ensure it, but maybe it can't be enforced
in the kernel.

Unless the policy defined which directories (disregard the irony,
please :) in the meta structure are available and off limits for
mkdir et al.

Sure this may be circumvented still by setting up an xml schema
somewhere and so on and so forth.

So my best guess probably is to have LSB extended with a damned
good policy about How Things Work(tm) with the new meta system.

--
mjt