Re: [OT] reiser4 vs politics: linux misses out again

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 08:35:20 EST

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Parag Warudkar wrote:

On Friday 01 July 2005 08:17, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
It would be a major marketing slap for Jobs if the
new design was done in Indiana (USA), now it's going
to be done in India.

Intel maybe moving part of chipset design to India but Apple still have their
product design with them which they haven't announced they will move anywhere
- or have they?

Their Web Page doesn't show anything new as a result of the Intel
deal. I understand that the Intel deal involved Intel-provided
hardware design in one of Intel's new campuses in India. Intel
has been in China for several years and established a $US200M
"China-venture" fund to bring 20-21st century technology to
China (broadband, semiconductor design, etc.)

I am not sure if Apple today designs and manufactures chipsets and CPUs in USA
- most likely not, they buy it from IBM/Freescale. IBM/Freescale must have
designed / manufactured the chipsets and CPUs anywhere - again most likely
outside the US. And from what I have heard Apple computers are assembled in
China.

Yes. Enough "final assembly", i.e., putting it in its shipping-box
is done in the US so they don't need a "made in China" label!

Similar to GE appliances.

So since long Apple's computers are designed in the US and manufactured /
assembled outside of the USA. And that continues to be the case going
forward, unless Apple announced they will move "their" product design to
somewhere else as a result of Intel's move.

I think the US design is going away. I think in a few years, Silicon
Valley will revert to some plum trees with migrant workers picking
the crop. I might be able to buy an orchard at Apple's former site
for a few thousand dollars. I've got to start saving now, though.

Parag

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.12 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.