Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Luigi Genoni
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 11:39:46 EST

On Fri, July 1, 2005 15:01, M. wrote:

> When your hard disk get a bad block you can't keep using it and rely
> on the "badblocks-proof filesystem structure that prevents you to do
> backups"..even with FAT, the simpler filesystem structure around, if you
> keep using you disk you are likely going to loose some data (yes, maybe
> not entire files). But, even with the metadata's richer filesystem, if you
> detect the first badblock you can save almost everything.
problem is when you detect it...

> Does it really makes sense to design a filesystem in a way that gives
> users some more time to use their filesystem from the first happened
> badblock or it's better to focus on new features that give better everyday
> use in terms of performance, functionalities, etc ?

to give users more times means that most users will wait more time, but
won't take any action to prevent data loss.
on the other side, I doubt home users are really sensitive about
performances. they do care about performances, but I do not know if they
are able to evaluate performances as well.
even for servers, if they are not stressed, it is difficoult with modern
hardware to evaluate I/O performances.

> And, are you sure that users who dont do and dont know they have to do
> backups of sensitive data are able to recover a corrupted filesystem ?

My experience taught me they aren't.
but they complain anyway.