Re: FUSE merging?

From: Frank van Maarseveen
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 13:05:29 EST

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 07:04:50PM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> I'm not saying this is a problem, but also I don't see any
> overwhelming reason to not allow user mounts over non-leaf
> directories.

All things considered I'd still prefer forbidding FUSE mounts on non-leaf
dirs. For name space sanity. And it may be easier to get the whole thing
accepted:

- One could argue that the existing name space is extended rather than
changed [for a subset of processes], what Al Viro seems to reject.
- The processes which cannot be ptraced/sent a signal by the mount
owner are not "forced" to traverse the FUSE mount for the sake of
name space invariancy, with all associated security problems: they
can see everything up to the leaf node of all the usual mounts.

But put otherwise: is there a compelling reason to permit FUSE mounts on
non-leaf nodes?

Can FUSE mount on a file like NFS?

What is your opinion about replacing the ptrace check by a signal check
(later on, no hurry)?

--
Frank