Re: [RFC] exit_thread() speedups in x86 process.c

From: William Cohen
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 13:37:09 EST

One of the difficulties function reordering is getting useful data to figure out a reasonable order for the functions. People do guess wrong on the frequency of particular functions. Also naive ordering techniques like just ordering functions based on frequency do not work well.

A North Carolina State University senior project was done to generate ordering to improve TLB and cache hit ratios using the information generated by valgrind for user-space programs:

http://www.bclennox.com/cgi-bin/show.cgi?page=home

Xen is running the domains (and kernels) in user-space. Would it be possible to adapt valgrind/xen to run a domain so that similar information could be collected about a particular kernel? Being able to use valgrind on the kernel could allow other analysis of the kernel code, e.g. find unwanted TLB flushes.

-Will

I am not subscribed to the list, so please cc me on responses.