Re: reiser4 plugins

From: David Masover
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 17:29:02 EST

Hans Reiser wrote:
> Hubert Chan wrote:

>>>What's the locking issue? I think that was more about transactions...
>>>

>>It was whatever was Al Viro's (technical) complaint about file-as-dir.
>>I don't remember exactly what it was. The technical people know what it
>>is (and the Namesys guys are probably working on it), and the exact
>>issue doesn't concern us non-technical people that much, so I don't feel
>>like looking it up. But if you want to, just look for Al Viro's message
>>in this thread.
>>

> Cycle detection when hard links to directories are allowed. There is a
> debate over whether cycle detection is feasible that can only be
> resolved by working code or a formal proof that it is not
> computationally feasible.

Ah. But then, one solution was to avoid the issue at all, and have the
directory inside a file act as a mountpoint. After all, mount --bind
doesn't cause problems...

Hey! This sounds like metafs (/meta) already! I wonder if we can do
file-as-dir in /meta, and just not support user-created hardlinks there?
(other than creating brand-new files, of course...)