Re: PROBLEM: "drive appears confused" and "irq 18: nobody cared!"

From: Alexander Fieroch
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 18:29:26 EST

Protasevich, Natalie wrote:
Hi Alexander,
To me, it looks like both IDE channels get wrong IRQ. Didn't you
verified previously that when you go without IDE the system boots up OK?

Yes it does. That's the way I'm currently using linux.

They get some interrupts because when IRQ 201 occurs triggered by USB,
the handler for ide runs also, since it is shared with both ide and
uhci. (Can you also attach output for "cat /proc/interrupts" please).

Ah, acknowledged. IDE and USB iterrupts are shared. /proc/interrupts is attached.

>Then I would try forth-feeding IRQ 14 to the IDE.

I don't know how to do that.

I was going to put some code together for you over the weekend, but got
caught up in other things, sorry.

No problem. I just wanted to know that the problem is not forgotten.

The idea was to forcibly assign IRQ 14
for ide0 and IRQ 15 for ide1 in the ide driver, setup-pci.c (just for
diagnostics and proof of concept so to speak) and see if devices become
sane.
I will try tweaking it tonight. I need to make sure it works on my
system first and if it does I will send you the code.

Thanks,
--Natalie

No, thank you for working on that problem!

Regards,
Alexander
CPU0 CPU1
0: 143266 0 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 908 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
7: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
8: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 0 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
10: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge MPU401 UART
169: 1857 0 IO-APIC-level skge, uhci_hcd:usb5, HDA Intel
177: 3 0 IO-APIC-level bttv0
185: 365 0 IO-APIC-level ide2, ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2
193: 13324 0 IO-APIC-level libata, uhci_hcd:usb3
201: 1600000 0 IO-APIC-level ide0, uhci_hcd:usb4
209: 3 0 IO-APIC-level ohci1394, Ensoniq AudioPCI
NMI: 51 1
LOC: 140268 140272
ERR: 1
MIS: 0