Re: RFC: Hugepage COW

From: David Gibson
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 06:55:47 EST

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 09:49:27AM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 15:55 +1000, David Gibson wrote:
>
> > MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_WRITE mappings of hugetlbfs. Because the pool of
> > hugepages is limited, a write to a MAP_PRIVATE hugepage region may
> > result in a SIGBUS, if a new hugepage cannot be allocated. This patch
>
> in that case you might allocate regular pages for the new copy.

That's not necessarily possible. On some archs - ppc64 for one -
the mmu has to be set up for hugepages on a granularity greater than
the hugepage size. So you can just arbitrarily substitute normal
pages for hugepages.

--
David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_
http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson