Re: Real-Time Preemption -RT-V0.7.51-17 - Keyboard Problems

From: K.R. Foley
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 15:42:29 EST

Dave Neuer wrote:
On 7/8/05, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

* K.R. Foley <kr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ingo,

I have an issue with keys VERY SPORADICALLY repeating, SOMETIMES, when
running the RT patches.

<snip>

2.6.12 doesn't seem to have the
problem at all, only when running the RT patches. It SEEMS to have
gotten worse lately.

<snip>

Adjusting the delay in the keyboard repeat seems to help. Any ideas?

hm. Would be nice to somehow find a condition that triggers it.

FWIW, I've had this problem from time to time on my Compaq Presario
x1010us laptop (which also uses the ICH-4 chipset) with several kernel
versions between 2.6.7 and 2.6.12, and I have _not_ been running the
RT patches (though I plan to start soon).

It seems to only happen when the laptop has been running for a while.
Also, X has been running each time. When it occurs, the stuck key
events follow the mouse focus from window to window, and in the few
cases where I'm able to either switch out of X to a different VT or
kill X, the keyboard is still "wedged" -- if I recall correctly,
switching VTs results in no keyboard events reaching that VT (as if X
is still consuming them). Can't remember what happens when I've
successfully killed X.

I have seen this happen once or twice, but this behaves more like the keyboard really is stuck. The situation I am having is very brief repeats of a key rather than just sticking forever. FWIW, when I have seen the above situation it behaved just as you described with the stuck key following the focus.

Again, happens uncommonly enough that I haven't put much effort into
debugging it.

Anyway, unless it's a similar but unlrelated bug, it's not _caused_ by RT.

Dave

--
kr