Re: [SOLVED ??] Kernel 2.6.12 + IO-APIC + uhci_hcd = Trouble

From: Alan Stern
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 14:49:33 EST

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Michel Bouissou wrote:

> Le Lundi 11 Juillet 2005 20:36, Alan Stern a écrit :
> > It's also possible that the UHCI controllers are generating the unwanted
> > interrupt requests.  You should make sure that Legacy USB Support is
> > turned off in your BIOS settings.
>
> My motherboard both holds USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 controllers. I don't have a
> "Legacy USB Support" option in my BIOS, all my USB options are the following:
>
> Enable USB 1.1 controller: YES (Surely relates to my true USB 1.1 controller)
>
> Enable USB 2.0 controller: YES (Same for the high speed controller ?)
>
> Enable USB keyboard: NO
>
> Enable USB mouse support: YES (Well, I have one ;-)

That's what I was talking about. BIOS support for keyboard and mouse is
called "Legacy" support, because it emulates plain old non-USB AT-type
devices. I bet if you turned off the "Enable USB mouse support" option
then everything would work.

> I didn't change anything regarding these so far.
>
> > You can also try adding the "usb-handoff" kernel parameter to your boot
> > command line.
>
> Hey !! This one looks like the MIRACLE-OPTION !!
>
> I just booted using my 2.6.12 kernel patched with Nathalie's patches (don't
> know if they help in there...) and the problem seems to be gone !
>
> Nothing complains anymore about the interrupt. I have:
>
> [root@totor etc]# cat /proc/interrupts
> CPU0
> 0: 934501 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 4611 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> 4: 2779 IO-APIC-edge serial
> 7: 3 IO-APIC-edge parport0
> 14: 7909 IO-APIC-edge ide4
> 15: 7918 IO-APIC-edge ide5
> 16: 38447 IO-APIC-level nvidia
> 18: 2982 IO-APIC-level eth0, eth1
> 19: 37041 IO-APIC-level ide0, ide1, ide2, ide3, ehci_hcd:usb4
> 21: 52036 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb3
> 22: 2850 IO-APIC-level VIA8233
> NMI: 0
> LOC: 934453
> ERR: 0
> MIS: 0
>

> ...now let's see with time if this is stable...
>
> A thousand thanks for your suggestion Alan !

You're welcome.

> (Kernel 2.4 was working plain good without such a boot option, I didn't know
> it existed...)

A lot has changed since 2.4... not always for the better!

Alan Stern