Re: [SOLVED ??] Kernel 2.6.12 + IO-APIC + uhci_hcd = Trouble

From: Michel Bouissou
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 15:20:07 EST

Le Lundi 11 Juillet 2005 21:52, Protasevich, Natalie a écrit :

> Michel, it would be interesting to see if you have problems with the kernel
> that doesn't have the fix posted in that bugzilla yet, but only has my
> first patch.

Do you mean the patch
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=c434b7a6aedfe428ad17cd61b21b125a7b7a29ce
alone ?

I'll try to compile a kernel this way tomorrow, it's a bit late tonight...

Furthermore, please tell me if there are risks that I seriously break let's
say my IDE devices interrupts doing this?
I use EVMS software RAID-5, and I don't want any problem with my RAID-5 set
(I'm just out of some that took me hours...) especially because the EVMS
snapshots I use for performing backups don't work anymore (I mean: are
horribly broke) since I upgraded to a 2.6 series kernel.

This is quite another file, but just to explain that I don't have any recent
and reliable backup these days, not time for me to take any unnecessary risk
with my RAID-5 set until this gets fixed...

> Thank you Alan! You helped me too, since my patch has broken a couple VIA
> chips lately. Now I know that at least the fix works...

Well, that's what I'm worried about ;-))

Anyway, here are the differences I already noticed with and without your two
patches, regarding the way the interrupts are distributed:

1/ Without your patches (from an old note I took) :

[root@totor etc]# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 626375 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 1599 IO-APIC-edge i8042
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
4: 1708 IO-APIC-edge serial
7: 2 IO-APIC-edge parport0
14: 19858 IO-APIC-edge ide2
15: 5220 IO-APIC-edge ide3
16: 30711 IO-APIC-level nvidia
18: 1799 IO-APIC-level eth0, eth1
19: 103365 IO-APIC-level ide0, ide1, ehci_hcd:usb4, aic7xxx
21: 47273 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb3
22: 2782 IO-APIC-level VIA8233

(I've removed an SCSI controller and added another 2-channel IDE controller
between the 2 outputs)

2/ With your 2 patches :

> > [root@totor etc]# cat /proc/interrupts
> > CPU0
> > 0: 934501 IO-APIC-edge timer
> > 1: 4611 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> > 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> > 4: 2779 IO-APIC-edge serial
> > 7: 3 IO-APIC-edge parport0
> > 14: 7909 IO-APIC-edge ide4
> > 15: 7918 IO-APIC-edge ide5
> > 16: 38447 IO-APIC-level nvidia
> > 18: 2982 IO-APIC-level eth0, eth1
> > 19: 37041 IO-APIC-level ide0, ide1, ide2, ide3, ehci_hcd:usb4
> > 21: 52036 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd:usb1,
> > uhci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb3
> > 22: 2850 IO-APIC-level VIA8233
> > NMI: 0
> > LOC: 934453
> > ERR: 0
> > MIS: 0

Cheers.

--
Michel Bouissou <michel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> OpenPGP ID 0xDDE8AC6E

La Marseillaise sera d'autant moins sifflée qu'elle sera entonnée par tous.
-- Raffoirius, Premier Ministre