Re: [SOLVED ??] Kernel 2.6.12 + IO-APIC + uhci_hcd = Trouble

From: Alan Stern
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 15:43:59 EST

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Michel Bouissou wrote:

> Le Lundi 11 Juillet 2005 21:43, Alan Stern a écrit :
> > >
> > > Enable USB mouse support: YES (Well, I have one ;-)
> >
> > That's what I was talking about. BIOS support for keyboard and mouse is
> > called "Legacy" support, because it emulates plain old non-USB AT-type
> > devices. I bet if you turned off the "Enable USB mouse support" option
> > then everything would work.
>
> Aha. And what would be your advice ? Rather leave the BIOS mouse option ON and
> use "usb-handoff", or remove both ?

Well, some people don't have a choice. They need to leave BIOS USB
keyboard/mouse support turned on in order to use their USB keyboard/mouse
before the Linux kernel has loaded (within Grub, for instance).

If you don't care about that, then it's cleaner to turn off the BIOS
support. Of course, you may find that you still need to use
"usb-handoff" anyway!

In the end it doesn't make much difference. Do whatever works best for
you.

Alan Stern