Re: [SOLVED ??] Kernel 2.6.12 + IO-APIC + uhci_hcd = Trouble

From: Michel Bouissou
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 16:37:36 EST

Le Lundi 11 Juillet 2005 23:21, Alan Stern a écrit :
> Don't jump to hasty conclusions.  Problems like this are often caused by
> unrelated things that you wouldn't suspect at first.

I know... Been working with computers for... Uh... 25 years ?

> Getting something to work once doesn't mean the problem has been fixed.

That's so sadly right ;-)

> And you can be fooled by coincidences.  (I would be surprised if that event
> above was really caused by plugging in the scanner, unless your UHCI
> hardware is broken.)

I don't believe the hardware is broken, as it's been running for more than 2
years 100% stable with a 24/7/365 uptime. And with me plugging and unplugging
USB devices...

Never had a single problem of the kind with any 2.4.x kernel. Get those
problems only with 2.6.x kernels, and, in 2.6.12, only when UP IO-APIC is
enabled (which ran perfectly good in 2.4).

So the problem is circled to 2.6 kernel, uhci_hcd and UP IO-APIC.

> One thing you might try, time-consuming though it will be, is to remove or
> disable as much hardware as possible from your system.  If you can
> reliably determine that the problem occurs only when one particular piece
> of hardware is enabled, then you'll know how to proceed.

I can hardly remove my VIA chipset from the mobo, and the USB thing is in the
VIA thing ;-))

And I'm afraid I won't have the time to play that much with hardware, besides
the fact that this is supposed to be a server which usually has uptimes over
90 days rather than reboot-for-testing-the-damn-kernel-once-again ;-))

But I'm pretty sure this is no hardware problem, unless 2.6 considers "bad
hardware" what 2.4 used to consider "nice hardware"...

Cheers.

--
Michel Bouissou <michel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> OpenPGP ID 0xDDE8AC6E