Re: ondemand cpufreq ineffective in 2.6.12 ?

From: Ken Moffat
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 06:18:21 EST

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Ken Moffat wrote:

> I was going to say that niceness didn't affect what I was doing, but
> I've just rerun it [ in 2.6.11.9 ] and I see that tar and bzip2 show up
> with a niceness of 10. I'm starting to feel a bit out of my depth here

OK, Con was right, and I didn't initially make the connection.

In 2.6.11, untarring a .tar.bz2 causes tar and bzip2 to run with a
niceness of 10, but everything is fine.

In 2.6.12, ondemand _only_ has an effect for me in this example if I
put on my admin hat and renice the bzip2 process (tried 0, that works) -
renicing the tar process has no effect (obviously, that part doesn't
push the processor).

So, from a user's point of view it's broken.

Ken