Re: 2.6.12.2 dies after 24 hours

From: Lars Roland
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 07:19:56 EST

On 7/12/05, Rob Mueller <robm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here's the /proc/interrupts dump:
>
> CPU0 CPU1 CPU2 CPU3
> 0: 11524000 0 0 0 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 8 0 0 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 5: 0 0 0 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
> 14: 13 0 0 0 IO-APIC-edge ide0
> 16: 2 0 0 0 IO-APIC-level ibmasm0
> 20: 2978604 0 2338027 0 IO-APIC-level eth0
> 22: 1321957 0 0 0 IO-APIC-level ips
> 24: 581291 0 0 0 IO-APIC-level pci-umem
> 29: 257154 0 0 0 IO-APIC-level eth1
> NMI: 0 0 0 0
> LOC: 11524185 11524201 11524194 11524121
> ERR: 0
> MIS: 0

Looks fine to me

> I'm not sure about IRQ balancing sorry. How do I tell? The entire boot
> process output is here:
>
> http://robm.fastmail.fm/kernel/t7/bootdmesg.txt
>
> And the config is here:
>
> http://robm.fastmail.fm/kernel/t7/config.txt

You have irq balancing, the line

CONFIG_IRQBALANCE=y

in your config file confirms it - I am not completely sure that it is
the root of the problem but when I experienced the problem I changed
two things: my acpi code and irq balancing and one of then made the
difference, I am just to lazy to check which one it is (also it is
production servers so I cannot do whatever I want).

> Our boot doesn't pass any special parameters, just choosing the deadline
> elevator...
>
> image=/boot/bzImage-2.6.12.2
> label=linux-2.6.12.2
> append="elevator=deadline"
> read-only
> root=/dev/sda2

I use the same io scheduler so that should not be a problem. I have
uploaded my config file - it works on ibm 335/336 servers, and a quick
look at your boot msg seams to indicate that your server have some of
the same hardware - note however that I load ide/scsi/filesystem stuff
as modules so you will need to build a initrd to use my config.

the config is here

http://randompage.org/static/kernel.conf

--
Lars