Re: serial: 8250 fails to detect Exar XR16L2551 correctly

From: Alex Williamson
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 13:12:21 EST

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 11:04 -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> Just trying to make sure that there's not a latent bug that we enable
> a bad sleep mode when the UART is being used for the console.

Yes, this is the problem. When a UART is specified as the console
using "console=uart,...", the console index is not initialized. This
causes the uart_console() check to mis-identify the port and we enable
sleep mode when we don't intend to do so. Not sure how to fix it yet,
but I assume we need to go back through after the serial ports are
enumerated, and un-suspend the console port. David, would you mind
trying this on the XR16L255x part? (ie. don't use console=ttyS, use
console=uart,...) Thanks,

Alex
--
Alex Williamson HP Linux & Open Source Lab