resuming swsusp twice

From: Andy Isaacson
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 14:13:54 EST

Yesterday I booted my laptop to 2.6.13-rc2-mm1, suspended to swsusp, and
then resumed. It ran fine overnight, including a fair amount of IO
(running firefox, rsyncing ~/Mail/archive from my mail server, hg pull,
etc). This morning I did a swsusp:

echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk
echo disk > /sys/power/state

and got a panic along the lines of "Unable to find swap space, try
swapon -a". Unfortunately I was in a hurry and didn't record the error
messages. I powered off, then a few minutes later powered on again.

At this point, it resumed *to the swsusp state from yesterday*!
As soon as I realized what had happened, I powered off (not
shutdown) and rebooted.

On the next boot it did not find a swsusp signature and booted normally;
ext3 did a normal recovery and seemed OK, but I was suspicious and did a
fsck -f, which revealed a lot of damage; most of the damage seemed to be
in the hg repo which had been pulled from www.kernel.org/hg/.

It's extremely unfortunate that there is *any* failure mode in swsusp
that can result in this behavior.

I will try to reproduce, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this.

-andy