Re: Thread_Id

From: RVK
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 06:28:38 EST

Ian Campbell wrote:

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 16:32 +0530, RVK wrote:

Ian Campbell wrote:

What Arjan is saying is that pthread_t is a cookie -- this means that
you cannot interpret it in any way, it is just a "thing" which you can
pass back to the API, that pthread_t happens to be typedef'd to unsigned
long int is irrelevant.

Do you want to say for both 2.6.x and 2.4.x I should interpret that way ?

As I understand it, yes, you should never try and assign any meaning to
the values. The fact that you may have been able to find some apparent
meaning under 2.4 is just a coincidence.

Iam sorry I don't agree on this. This confusion have created only becoz of the different behavior of pthread_self() on 2.4.18 and 2.6.x kernels. And Iam looking for clarifying my doubt. I can't digest this at all.

rvk

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell
Current Noise: Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked

BOFH excuse #127:

Sticky bits on disk.
.