Re: fdisk: What do plus signs after "Blocks" mean?

From: DervishD
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 11:21:42 EST

Hi kernel.

* kernel <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> First 446 bytes are boot code and all
> Next 64 bytes are for 4 partition records, 16 bytes each
> Last 2 bytes are signature

And that's right, but only for the MBR. If you set up an extended
partition in the MBR, the partition table for that extended partition
is on the boot record of the extended partition. If you just backup
the MBR, you only backup the *declaration* of the extended partition
(where it starts, where it ends, etc.) but NOT the partition table of
the extended partition (that is, the partitions within the extended
partition). For storing that you have to backup the first sector of
the extended partition itself. And you have to do it recursively if
you want to backup any partition setup, no matter how strange.

I hope I've made this clear, is a bit difficult to explain
without a couple of diagrams O:)

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to...