Re: LKM function call on kernel function call?

From: Daniel Bonekeeper
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 12:03:16 EST

You can also look about some methods of "function redirection
hooks"... add some opcodes at the start of the "hooked function"
(something like to add a CALL or JMP pointing to the address of your
function). There are docs about this subject, but unfortunately I
couldn't find anything now (http://www.ouah.org/p59-0x08.txt is not
exactly what I'm talking about, it's talking about ELF redirection).
It's a dirty thing to do, and it's not intended to be done in any
production thing (in fact, it's a *hack*).

On 7/5/05, S <talk2sumit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is it possible to code a loadable module having function1(), which
> would be called, everytime a particular function of the kernel is
> called? If not, atleast a way this could be done without re-compiling
> the whole kernel and rebooting the system?
>
> Example:
>
> My LKM:
> -------------
>
> init_module() {
> }
>
> function1() {
> }
>
> cleanup_module() {
> }
>

> I want function1() to be called, everytime the function
> ide_do_rw_disk() of ide-disk.c is called. I do not want to re-compile
> the complete kernel to do this.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Regards,
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-c-programming" in

# (perl -e "while (1) { print "\x90"; }") | dd of=/dev/evil