Re: Thread_Id

From: J.A. Magallon
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 18:07:16 EST

On 07.14, RVK wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote:

> >>Do you want to say for both 2.6.x and 2.4.x I should interpret that way ?
> >>

> >As I understand it, yes, you should never try and assign any meaning to
> >the values. The fact that you may have been able to find some apparent
> >meaning under 2.4 is just a coincidence.
> >

> Iam sorry I don't agree on this. This confusion have created only becoz
> of the different behavior of pthread_self() on 2.4.18 and 2.6.x kernels.
> And Iam looking for clarifying my doubt. I can't digest this at all.

It is simple: none ever never told you that a pthread_t has nothing to do
with a pid. pthreads is a standard and portable implementation that
guarantees you can port _pthread_ code between posix systems. It uses
an internal opaque type to identify threads, but you should never relay on
it have nothing to do with pids. The fact that somewhere-in-time-in-some-os
the pthread_t equals the pid/tid/ etc is just pure chance. If you had
code relaying on this, it is just broken. Where is stated if pthread_t is
the tid, an index into a table internal to pthread library, a pointer
to an struct (mmm, bloken on 64 bits?) or what ?

Whatif:
- you swith kernels and thread library implementation ?
- you go solaris (it has user level threads ?)

I think one of the sources of the confussion is that:
- man pages about system calls talk about 'threads', but that should be
read as 'sibling _processes_ created via clone(CLONE_THREAD) syscall'.
- man pages about phthreads library also talk about 'threads', but that
should be read as 'posix threads created via pthread_create'.
And none guarantees that both 'threads' are the same.

If you just want to use gettid(), don't go further that clone().
If you use pthread_create(), forget about gettid().

(AFAIK ;) )

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()able!es> \ Software is like sex:
werewolf!able!es \ It's better when it's free