Re: Giving developers clue how many testers verified certain kernelversion

From: Martin MOKREJŠ
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 21:39:08 EST

Hi,

Mark Nipper wrote:
I have a different idea along these lines but not using
bugzilla. A nice system for tracking usage of certain components
might be made by having people register using a certain e-mail
address and then submitting their .config as they try out new
versions of kernels.

Nice idea, but I still think it is of interrest on what hardware
was it tested. Maybe also 'dmesg' output would help a bit, but
I still don't know how you'd find that I have _this_ motherboard
instead of another.

Second, I'd submit sometimes 2 or even 3 tested hosts. But am
willing to use only single email, though. ;)

I think we'd need some sort of profile, the profile would contain
some HW info, like motherboard type, bios version etc. To extract
that from 'dmesg' would be a nightmare I think.

Just an idea. It might require some minimum
recommendations to users willing to participate. I know for
example that I statically compile all four I/O schedulers in all

Well, my case too. ;)

Martin