Kernel don't free Cached Memory

From: Márcio Oliveira
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 06:19:06 EST

Hi all!

I have a server with 2 Pentium 4 HT processors and 32 GB of RAM, this
server runs lots of applications that consume lots of memory to. When I stop
this applications, the kernel doesn't free memory (the memory still in use)
and the server cache lots of memory (~27GB). When I start this applications,
the kernel sends "Out of Memory" messages and kill some random
applications.

Anyone know how can I reduce the kernel cached memory on RHEL 3 (kernel
2.4.21-32.ELsmp - Trial version)? There is a way to reduce the kernel cached
memory utilization?

Thanks in advance (sorry my bad english).

Vinicius.
Protolink Consultoria.