Re: [patch 1/2] Touchscreen support for sharp sl-5500

From: Russell King
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 10:51:57 EST

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 10:16:05AM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> If the problem is that you have a single piece of hardware you need to
> bind several drivers to - I guess you will have to create a new
> sub-device bus for that. Or just register sub-devices on the same bus
> the parent device is registered on - I am not sure what is best in
> this particular case - I am not familiar with the arch.

That is exactly the problem - these kinds of devices do _not_ fit
well into the device model. A struct device for every different
possible sub-unit is completely overkill.

For instance, you may logically use one ADC and some GPIO lines
on the device for X and something else for Y and they logically
end up in different drivers.

The problem is that the parent doesn't actually know how many
devices to create nor what to call them, and they're logically
indistinguishable from each other so there's no logical naming
system.

> Can we change this to "while (!kthread_should_stop())" to make me
> completely happy?

I still ask, and I'll keep repeating this. What is the difference
between this and the reference implementation which is known to
work on other hardware.

Let's not go all out on one implementation for one set of hardware,
but try to work out what we need to do to the generic reference
implementation to make it work on this hardware.

IOW, you're working on the wrong version.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core