Variable ticks

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Jul 25 2005 - 13:56:53 EST

I was thinking about variable tick times, and I can think of three classes of action needing CPU attention.
- device interrupts, which occur at no predictable time but would pull the CPU out of a HLT or low power state.
- process sleeps of various kinds, which have a known time of occurence.
- polled devices...

Question one, are there other actions to consider?

Question two, what about those polled devices?

I've been asked to give a high level overview of the recent discussion for a meeting, and while I want to keep it at the level of "slower clock, fewer interrupts" and "faster clock, better sleep resolution," I don't want to leave out any important issues, or be asked a question (like how to handle polling devices) when I have no idea what people are thinking in an area.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)