Re: Linux BKCVS kernel history git import..

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 11:47:33 EST

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 08:29 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I used to think I wanted to, but these days I really don't. One of the
> reasons is that I expect to try to pretty up the old bkcvs conversion some
> time: use the name translation from the old "shortlog" scripts etc, and
> see if I can do some other improvements on the conversion (I think I'll
> remove the BK files - "ChangeSet" etc).

Thomas has done all that; it's on kernel.org already.

> And it's really much easier and more general to have a "graft" facility.
> It's something that git can do trivially (literally a hook in
> "parse_commit" to add a special parent), and it's actually a generic
> mechanism exactly for issues like this ("project had old history in some
> other format").

Hm, OK. That works and can also be used for the "fake _absence_ of
parent" thing -- if I'm space-constrained and want only the history back
to some relatively recent point like 2.6.0, I can do that by turning the
2.6.0 commit into an orphan instead of also using all the rest of the
history back to 2.4.0.

--
dwmw2