Re: Re: Problem while inserting pciehp (PCI Express Hot-plug) driver

From: Rajat Jain
Date: Thu Jul 28 2005 - 05:51:05 EST

> Hi Rajat, you can learn more about the OSHP method by reading the PCI
> express spec. It is used to tell an ACPI bios that the OS will be
> handling the hotplug events natively. It may be that your BIOS does
> not allow native hotplug for pcie, in which case you need to be using
> the acpiphp driver instead of the pciehp driver. You could just try
> modprobing acpiphp and see if this will handle the hotplug events. A
> recent version of lspci (which understands pcie) will tell you as well
> if pcie hotplug capability is supported (lspci -vv).

Okay. I'm sorry but I'm not very clear with this. I'm just putting
down here my understanding. So basically we have two mutually
EXCLUSIVE hotplug drivers I can use for PCI Express:

1) "pciehp.ko" : We use this PCIE HP driver when our BIOS supports
Native Hot-plug for PCI Express (which means that hot-plug will be
handled by OS single handedly).

2) "acpiphp.ko" : We use this "generic" ACPI HP driver when BIOS
allows only ITSELF to handle hot-plug events.

Is my understanding correct? I would appreciate if you could help me
gain a grip on this.

Thanks a lot for the useful info you gave. Provided me with a new
direction to work on.

Regards,

Rajat