Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 14:41:17 EST

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 01:38:37AM +0200, Zoran Dzelajlija wrote:
> Zach Brown <zab@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > This patch schedules obsolete OSS drivers (with ALSA drivers that
> > > support the same hardware) for removal.
>
> > > I've Cc'ed the people listed in MAINTAINERS as being responsible for one
> > > or more of these drivers, and I've also Cc'ed the ALSA people.
>
> > I haven't touched the maestro drivers in so long (for near-total lack of
> > docs, etc.) that I can't be considered authoritative for approving it's
> > removal. If people are relying on it I certainly don't know who they
> > are. In better news, Takashi should now have the pile of maestro
> > hardware that I used in the first pass to help him maintain the ALSA
> > driver..
>
> The OSS maestro driver works better on my old Armada E500 laptop. I tried
> ALSA after switching to 2.6, but the computer hung with 2.6.8.1 or 2.6.10 if
> I touched the volume buttons. With OSS they just work. The four separate
> dsp devices also look kind of more useful.

I've left it on the list of OSS drivers scheduled for removal based on
Takashi's comment that the volume button problem should be fixed now.

If this problem is still present in 2.6.13-rc4, please open a bug at the
ALSA bug tracking system [1] and tell me the bug number so that I can
track it.

> Zoran

cu
Adrian