reed-solomon lib

From: Simon Sudler
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 10:55:07 EST

Hi folks,

I'm working with the reed-solomon lib. Since i use a
RS(255,191,64) code, i found a strange limitation in
the reed_solomon.c:

194: /* Sanity checks */
if (symsize < 1)
return NULL;
if (fcr < 0 || fcr >= (1<<symsize))
return NULL;
if (prim <= 0 || prim >= (1<<symsize))
return NULL;
if (nroots < 0 || nroots >= (1<<symsize) || nroots > 8)
return NULL;

in line 201 the nroot are limited to max 8. I checkt the
original code from Phil Karn (http://cache.qualcomm.com/code/fec/)
in witch is no limitation. After a closer look a the original
code, i couldn't find any relevant difference exept for
the line above.
After removing of the "nroots > 8" my code was working fine...
perhaps someone was to carful to avoid a errors with the kmalloc
function in rs_init.

Cheers,
Simon