Re: kernel options for cd project with processor family

From: Dave Jones
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 11:57:03 EST

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 08:49:39PM +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> I'm working on the ghost for linux project, which uses various
> kernels. The older version 0.14 version had two kernels that support
> some configurations. I've added a number of additional builds
> adding extra features, but left earlier version in case the later
> additions didn't work with hardware. The bzImage6 is the latest and
> it works with most hardware, but I found it didn't work on a K6, since
> it was build with the Pentium Pro Family. I was able to build one with
> the K6 family, and it worked. I had used one of the original kernels
> with a K6 before, but this one had a network card that wasn't
> supported by it.
>
> I've built a test set of kernels with the same configuration as the
> bzImage6, but changed the Processor family. Below is a list of the
> build. I'm interested in which ones would make a difference. I would
> think that the 386 version would probable work on all hardware, but
> at what cost in performance for creating and restoring the disk
> images. G4L uses basically dd, gzip, lzop, bzop, ncftpget, and
> ncftpput. With all these images, the g4l iso image is 50MB.

Your workload is going to be almost entirely IO bound, with
the only CPU intensive parts being 99% in userspace. So any
performance gains by tuning the kernel for a specific CPU are
likely to be unnoticable. I'd go with a single image supporting
the lowest hardware you intend to support.

CPU tuned variants of gzip/bzip may be more noticable however.

Dave