Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.13-rc4-V0.7.52-01

From: Daniel Walker
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 22:00:31 EST

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 22:42 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 19:25 -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:
> > >
> > > The thing is, I'm tracking how long the task is running in the kernel
> > > without doing a schedule. That's actually easy, but I don't want to
> >
> > Why make the distinction ? For what I was going for all I wanted to know
> > was that an RT task was eating up all the CPU . Did you have something
> > else in mind?
>
> Yeah, bugs in the kernel :-)
>
> I can change the patch to just see who is hogging the CPU for more than
> X amount of seconds (10 by default) if that pleases everyone. If that's
> what people want, then I'll send another patch tomorrow. If this is the
> way to go, then I'll add back the check for RT tasks to limit the output
> to just RT hogs. Or is any hog OK?

The stack trace should show where the problem is . If it's in the kernel
we will see kernel functions before do_IRQ() , if it's just a whacked
out task then do_IRQ() would be first in the stack trace .

I can't speak for everyone else, but I would want to catch both. That
way we'll know if it's just a whacked out task, or a kernel problem.

Daniel