Re: revert yenta free_irq on suspend

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 04:24:12 EST

Hi!

> > But that believe would be total fantasy -- supsend/resume is not
> > working on a large number of machines, and no distro is currently
> > able to support it. (I'm talking about S3 suspend to RAM primarily,
> > suspend to disk is less interesting -- though Red Hat doesn't
> > even support _that_)
>
> After the 'swsusp works just fine' lovefest at OLS, I spent a little
> while playing with the current in-tree swsusp implementation last week.
>
> The outcome: I'm no more enthusiastic about enabling this in Red Hat
> kernels than I ever was before. It seems to have real issues with LVM
> setups (which is default on Red Hat/Fedora installs these days).
> After convincing it where to suspend/resume from by feeding it
> the major/minor of my swap partition, it did actually seem
> to suspend. And resume (though it did spew lots of 'sleeping whilst
> atomic warnings, but thats trivial compared to whats coming up
> next).

I do not know much about LVM. How exactly did you resume= command line
look like? You were not resuming from initrd, right?

You did not boot *anything* between suspend and resume, right?

> I rebooted, and fsck found all sorts of damage on my / partition.
> After spending 30 minutes pressing 'y', to fix things up, it failed
> to boot after lots of files were missing.
> Why it wrote anything to completely different lv to where I told it
> (and yes, I did get the major:minor right) I have no idea, but
> as it stands, it definitly isn't production-ready.

Could you try to suspend on plain old swap-partition, first, to verify
that your drivers cooperate?
Pavel
--
teflon -- maybe it is a trademark, but it should not be.