initrd load from any block device

From: Vadim Yatsenko
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 02:43:50 EST

Hello!

May be it was discussed but I havn't answer.
So my question is: why only supported media to load
initial ramdisk is floppy?

In embedded systems it's more other suitable devices
such as mtdblock, etc. So why not to add some code
to support loading compressed initrd images from
any block device. It's can reduce boot up time.

I've tried to do this on my ARM machine and was
impressed how much faster my board was get alive.

It is usual practice in embedded world to use ramdisk
as a root.

Any comments?

With best regards. Vadim Yatsenko