Re: IDE disk and HPA

From: Etienne Lorrain
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 05:23:33 EST

> If I want to upgrade my IDE Hard drive by my self, how can I
> restore that kind of data on other diferent PC?

So the content of the HPA should be limited to program which are
special: a boot loader is position dependant and you do not want
to copy it blindly to another hard disk with maybe another size
or other characteristics - because it will not work - you just
want to re-install it on the other HD on the other PC.
If this HPA contains more than a bootloader, it has to be
organised like a real filesystem (or even a real device image
with a partition table) to be accessed by emergency tools like
mtools (you can specify a big offset to the device to access
a FAT partition at the end of the device). This FAT filesystem
can be considered logically like a big floppy.
Maybe one day this system can use the SAORAB IDE feature - read
the spec to understand that sentence.
If you are really recovering a disaster and want to get the HPA
content but are locked by the bootloader blocking this access, I'll
give you the trick (that is a secret - do not repeat it!): plug in
your IDE disk after boot using an USB/IDE adapter.

> HPA should not exist, there are a lot of other ways to store
> restore or diagnostics apps, Hibernation and Quick Restores
> should be handled in other way, I have once an omnibook (earth
> unplugged) and I can only reinstall Linux, because the host
> protected area does not allow me to install The Original OS,
> in other PC with the porper hardware and back it to the laptop.

HPA and all the other "extended" IDE command exists on all hard
drives used these day: anything more than 8 Gb has the complete
set (but maybe SAORAB).

> This HPA should be optional, but never by default, I once need
> to have them disabled (where is the specifications from the
> manufacturer to reproduce them in a new hard disk media).

My bootloader can be installed in any standard partition and
if the disk does not contains a B.E.E.R. sector (see
http://www.t13.org/project/d1367r3.pdf
) you will not get the HPA set or frozzen.
Security freeze is still done in all cases.

Etienne.