Re: [RFC] Demand faulting for large pages

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 11:05:10 EST

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 10:21:38AM -0500, Adam Litke wrote:
> Below is a patch to implement demand faulting for huge pages. The main
> motivation for changing from prefaulting to demand faulting is so that
> huge page allocations can follow the NUMA API. Currently, huge pages
> are allocated round-robin from all NUMA nodes.

I think matching DEFAULT is better than having a different default for
huge pages than for small pages.

In general more programs are happy with local memory than remote memory.

Also it makes it consistent.

> The default behavior in SLES9 for i386 is to use demand faulting with
> NUMA policy-aware allocations. To my knowledge, this continues to work

Not sure what you're trying to say here. All allocations are NUMA policy aware.

> well in practice. Thanks to consolidated hugetlb code, switching the
> behavior requires changing only one fault handler. The bulk of the
> patch just moves the logic from hugelb_prefault() to
> hugetlb_pte_fault().

Are you sure you fixed get_user_pages to handle this properly? It doesn't
like it.

-Andi