Re: local DDOS? Kernel panic when accessing /proc/ioports

From: Martin Loschwitz
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 16:59:32 EST

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 12:50:56PM -0700, Chris Wright wrote:
> * Martin Loschwitz (madkiss@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > I just ran into the following problem: Having updated my box to 2.6.12.3,
> > I tried to start YaST2 and noticed a kernel panic (see below). Some quick
> > debugging brought the result that the kernel crashes while some user (not
> > even root ...) tries to access /proc/ioports. Is this a known problem and
> > if so, is a fix available?
>
> First I've heard of it. I can't trigger here with simple cat
> /proc/ioports. Must be specific to your setup. What was the last
> working kernel, and what's that ioport output look like?

The situation in this case is somewhat obscene ... Originally, I had exactly
this problem while using the Knoppix standard kernel (2.6.11 vanilla SMP). I
then went to compile 2.6.12.3, also with SMP, and it showed exactly the same
problem. I disable SMP, tried again -- voila, it worked.

The kernel that I am encountering this error again now is 2.6.12.3 -- without
SMP or whatsoever. I'm just out of ideas on how to fix it this time.

--
.''`. Martin Loschwitz Debian GNU/Linux developer
: :' : madkiss@xxxxxxxxxxx madkiss@xxxxxxxxxx