RE: Wireless support

From: alan
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 16:01:35 EST

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Lee Revell wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 12:56 -0600, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
> > Again, the point is that ndiswrapper is a great project, but people
> > uses it for the leftovers! We *shouldn't* buy leftovers or from Manuf
> > that don't care about Linux.
>
> If you are always speccing out new systems then of course, but in the
> real world I have some customers who need to dual boot and ideally it
> would work on their existing hardware. Linux is a harder sell if people
> need to replace a lot of their gear.

Also remember that some people do not have a choice. They are stuck with
the crappy laptops that purchasing gets.

I am in a similar bind. I was planning on swapping out the minipci
Broadcom card. Only after I purchaced the laptop did I find out that the
bios was set to only recognise that wireless chipset. (Other than that it
is an incredible AMD 64 laptop.)

The biggest problem with ndisdriver is that it does not work with 64 bit
kernels (last I checked) and it does not work with Kismet/AirSnort/etc.

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.