Re: [RFC][patch 0/2] mm: remove PageReserved

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 04:58:11 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 19:31 +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

and..... can we make a general page_is_ram() function that does what it
says? on x86 it can go via the e820 table, other architectures can do
whatever they need....

That would be very helpful. That should cover the remaining (ab)users
of PageReserved.

It would probably be fastest to implement this with a page flag,
however if swsusp and ioremap are the only users then it shouldn't
be a problem to go through slower lookups (and this would remove the
need for the PageValidRAM flag that I had worried about earlier).

if you want I have implementations of this for x86, x86_64 and iirc ia64
(not 100% sure about the later). None of these use a page flag, but use
the same information the kernel uses during bootup to find ram.

It seems like a good idea to me, if the arch guys are up for it.
If you have a copy of the patch handy, sure send it over.

Thanks
Nick

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.