Re: [patch] i386 dynamic ticks 2.6.13-rc4 (code reordered)

From: Thomas Renninger
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 01:49:41 EST

Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:
> [...]
My patch considered only the average last idle times and the average last bus master
activities.
It could happen that C3/C4 comes in too fast (not waiting long enough for bus master
activity to settle down) which could result in failed transitions or misfunctionality
of bus master devices.
However, it worked on my machine and I could gain a lot of power savings.
But be prepared that your WLAN card, USB peripherie or others might behave strangely or even that
the machine freezes (if, it should freeze quite fast if idle).
I plan to have a look at x86 and x86_64 dynamic tick patches again and rewrite the C-state
patch, soon.
Any hints on updated dyn-tick patches/projects crawling around are appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas