Re: Power consumption HZ100, HZ250, HZ1000: new numbers

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 13:59:19 EST

Lee Revell wrote:
On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 01:29 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:

Hi!

I'm pretty sure at least one distro will go with HZ<300 real soon now
;-).

Any idea what their official recommendation for people running apps that
require the 1ms sleep resolution is? Something along the lines of "Get
bent"?

So you busy wait for 1msec, big deal.

Which requires changing all those apps. I thought we tried not to break
userspace with minor kernel version upgrades.

Sounds like you were wrong.

This whole thing is silly, I'm very aware of battery life issues, but in real ues we are talking about maybe 3% more battery life. People who are totally anal about it will build their own kernel, or use a vendor kernel with varioble tick rate, but saving <2BTU/hr is not going to let anyone buy a smaller A/C unit. The computer user gives off way more than that.

I would leave it at 1k and push for variable tick, which should make everyone happy.

Some machines can't even keep time properly with HZ=1000.

If your workaround for broken hardware involves screwing over people
with good hardware, it might be the wrong workaround.

Official recommendation is likely "help us
with CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ" or "get over it".

IOW, "if you don't like it, get another distro, or compile your own
kernel".

Lee