Problem with usb-storage and /dev/sd?

From: DervishD
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 14:19:37 EST

Hi all :)

If I plug my MP3 player (USB), the usb-storage module assigns it
device /dev/sda, which is right because I have it configured as such
in my /etc/fstab. Well, another day, another boot and I plug my USB
memory stick, and usb-storage assigns it device /dev/sda, quite cool
because I have it configured as such in my /etc/fstab, too.

The problem is that if I plug my USB memory, unplug it and plug
my MP3 player, it gets /dev/sdb this time, not /dev/sda. The mess is
even greater if I plug my card reader, which has four LUN's...

I'm not using hotplug currently so... how can I make the USB
subsystem to assign always the same /dev/sd? entry to my USB Mass
storage devices? For example, I will assign /dev/sda to my MP3
player, no matter if it is the first or the last USB gadget plugged,
etc. I would like fixed assignations, not the current way of 'first
item plugged gets /dev/sda and you have to remove the module if you
want the next item to be placed in /dev/sda'. I've googled a bit
without any success :(

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to...