RE: NCQ support NVidia NForce4 (CK804) SATAII

From: Allen Martin
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 15:54:17 EST

> Erm, why they are not willing to support NCQ under Linux...I
> mean many
> people using NVIDIA based mainboards. And that against that what I
> thought NVidia stands for - Linux friendly but seems only that this
> statement fit on graficcards? Is there no "responsible" person that
> says...Hello, Linux is a growing market that we need to
> serve? With full
> driver/program support?

Likely the only way nForce4 NCQ support could be added under Linux would
be with a closed source binary driver, and no one really wants that,
especially for storage / boot volume. We decided it wasn't worth the
headache of a binary driver for this one feature. Future nForce
chipsets will have a redesigned SATA controller where we can be more
open about documenting it.

-Allen