Re: Linux-2.6.13-rc6: aic7xxx testers please..

From: hunold
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 07:37:45 EST

Hello Philipp,

I got the following OOPS from running "alevtd -F -d -v /dev/vbi0" with
my Siemens-DVB-C on a Dual-i686-600. I'm able to reproduce this even
running a 2.6.12-rc6 without the nvidia module tainting the kernel.

So you're using the analog tuner of the card to watch analog cable tv and want to decode teletext from the vbi, right?

Can you tell me the last kernel version that worked for you?

kernel BUG at drivers/media/common/saa7146_video.c:741!

739 fmt = format_by_fourcc(dev,fh->video_fmt.pixelformat);
740 /* we need to have a valid format set here */
741 BUG_ON(NULL == fmt);

This sanity check is failing. Apparently the software managed
to select a pixelformat that cannot be translated to a "saa7146 format".

Puh, I wrote this long ago. ;-) IIRC this should not be possible (ie. the driver should reject the unknown pixelformat in the configuring stage).

Did you update the alevt package? Perhaps it's now doing this differently and it would fail with older kernels as well, which have worked before.

We will probably have to debug this on a very low level.

Regards
Michael.