Re: IDE CD problems in 2.6.13rc6

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Sat Aug 13 2005 - 21:14:04 EST

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:29, Dave Jones wrote:
> I've noticed this week whilst trying to encode a bunch
> of audio CDs to oggs that my boxes running the latest
> kernels are having serious issues, whereas 2.6.12 seems
> to cope just fine.
>
> The symptoms vary. On some of my machines just inserting
> an audio CD makes the box instantly lock up.
> If I boot with the same CD in the drive, sound-juicer
> can read it just fine. When I get to the next CD, I have
> to reboot again, or it locks up.
>
> On another box, it gets stuck in a loop where it
> just prints out..
>
> hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy } (This line sometimes has
> status=0xc0) ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>
> The net result is that I've not got a single box that
> will read audio CDs without doing something bad, and I've
> tried it on several quite diverse systems.
>

> I'll try and narrow down over the next few days when this
> started happening, but IDE / CD folks may have some better
> ideas about which changes were suspicious.

Ok I just started noticing unusual things on my IDE DVD-RW as well, presumably
related, on 2.6.13-rc6. Putting in a cd and trying to read it will cause huge
delays and then error out with:

ide-cd: cmd 0x28 timed out
hdc: DMA timeout retry
hdc: timeout waiting for DMA
hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: ATAPI reset complete

then it will read fine. If I start another read it goes through the same
cycle. Forcing dma *off* with hdparm fixes the problem and all subsequent
accesses don't have this pause, however this was never an issue on previous
kernels with dma working fine.

relevant lspci:
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB
UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB
UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB
UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB 2.0 EHCI
Controller (rev 02)

hdparm info of hdc:
/dev/hdc:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
Model Number: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S
Serial Number:
Firmware Revision: CS02
Standards:
Used: ATAPI for CD-ROMs, SFF-8020i, r2.5
Supported: CD-ROM ATAPI-2
Configuration:
DRQ response: 50us.
Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=227ns IORDY flow control=120ns

relevant config=y info:
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y