Re: Problem with usb-storage and /dev/sd?

From: DervishD
Date: Sun Aug 14 2005 - 16:45:12 EST

Hi Willy :)

* Willy Tarreau <willy@xxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> > That's not possible. sd_mod will assign different devices for
> > different USB gadgets, and that's my problem in the first case!. If I
> > plug my USB-whatever, it gets assigned /dev/sda1 (for the first
> > partition, I mean). If I unplug it and, after that, I plug any other
> > USB device, it gets assigned /dev/sdb1, etc. Don't know if the
> > culprit is usb-storage or sd_mod :? The problem is that I cannot know
> > about which device was assigned (at least in 2.4.x) so I can modify
> > fstab or even mount it.
> I've been suffering from the same problem for a long time until I found
> a patch from Erik Andersen which automatically unregisters the sd device
> once you unplug the USB device. It has changed my life :-)

Thanks! Unfortunately, it solves only half of my problem. If I
plug *two* USB storage devices, the second will fail (well, it won't
be assigned the correct device). The perfect solution is to always
use the same dev entry for the same USB device, but I need sysfs for
that (AFAIK), just like udev does.

> Here it is for 2.4. I even wonder why we would not put this into mainline,
> since having orphan devices brings nothing but confusion.

Don't know :????

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to...