Re: 2.6.12.4: Continuous Sound from internal speaker from boot to shutdown

From: Denis Vlasenko
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 02:19:37 EST

On Monday 15 August 2005 08:52, Florian Hars wrote:
> I have an NForce4 board with an Athlon 64 and use the 2.6.8 kernel from
> the inofficial debian AMD64 port, and everything works, except that the
> proprietary nvidia driver for my geforce card complains about "Your
> Linux kernel has problems in its implementation of the change_page_attr
> kernel interface" and recommends an upgrade to 2.6.11 or later. Now
> 2.6.11 is out of the question as it does not support lseek(2)
> (archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2005-01/1205.html), so I tried
> 2.6.12.4 instead. I used the sources from kernel.org and used the
> default for all new options. On boot I get a contionuous sound from the
> internal speaker from a moment shortly after all filesystems are
> mounted. There seems to be no error message related to the sound. In

Sounds like ( ;] ) it's a userspace program or a loaded module.
boot with init=/bin/sh and then reproduce normal boot manually entering
relevant commands (you need to be familiar with boot process - i.e.
you need to know what commands are executed by system while it boots)
until you find out what is it.

> addition, I get a lot of spurious warnings like
>
> pcie_portdrv_probe->Dev[005d:10de] has invalid IRQ. Check vendor BIOS

Output of lspci? lspci -n?
--
vda