Re: Latency with Real-Time Preemption with 2.6.12

From: Sundar Narayanaswamy
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 19:23:57 EST

Steve,
Thanks very much for your input. I applied the latest realtime-preempt
patch today (patch-2.6.13-rc6-rt9) on top of 2.6.13-rc6 kernel and I set
the high res timer to using TSC.

Anyways, I am not too concerned about the nanosleep test itself. I just
thought that would be a way to demonstrate the original problem I am trying
to solve (which is a bit more complicated). The original problem is
setup like this:

The SBC has two serial ports, ttyS0 and ttyS1 that are connected by the
serial port cable. A program writes characters on ttyS0 while another
program (with RealTime priority thread) reads the char from ttyS1 and
echoes it back immediately). The first program then measures the time it
takes for it to get back the written char. Without any system load,
I noticed that this time is about 4ms, which I think is fine. However,
as the system load (primarly disk I/O) increases, the time increases to about
30-40 ms and this increase (with moderate system load) surprises me. With
realtime preemption patch, I was hoping this time would remain about 4ms.

My initial guess was that the driver (IDE controller, due to disk I/O load)
has non-preemptible sections that is causing the additional delay, and
that was why I tried the nanosleep test program.

Now, I am not sure if I am not setting up something right, or if I
am missing something. I appreciate your time and feedback. Please let me know
if there is something obvious that I should look into, or a setup (config)
I might be missing. I'll look into George's suggestion to try timers
tomorrow.

Thanks very much,
sundar.