Re: libata error handling

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 00:55:39 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
Heh... Maybe I'm just reluctant to let go of my patches. Anyways, I'll now stand down and see how things go and try to help.

Note that my email simply describes a long term target. For the short term, and perhaps medium term, libata will continue to use ->eh_strategy_handler().

Given Mark's messages, my own knowledge, and other reports, there continues to be room for improvement in the current EH code.

In general, we need to distinguish between PCI bus errors, SATA bus errors, and ATA device errors, and handle each error class appropriately. In the SCSI layer, ->eh_strategy_handler() or no, this will likely consist of taking the SCSI device offline and dealing with the error(s).

Jeff